As the body ages there are changes both mentally and physically. Knowing what is normal and what is considered a health alert is the question for so many. Knowing what to expect is the first step in maintaining your health. Below we have listed the most common changes.
- BONES – Become thinner and more brittle, and loss of density.
- HEART – Large arteries become stiffer leading to arteriosclerosis, expect a rise in blood pressure.
- BRAIN – Slight forgetfulness, new information and multi-tasking become more difficult
- DIGESTION – Digestive tract slows down, possible constipation, nausea or stomach pain.
- SENSES – The 5 senses: hearing, vision, smell, taste, and touch are not as sharp as they once were.
- TEETH & GUMS – The protective enamel begins to wear away, making cavities harder to fight off, also the nerves of the teeth become smaller, masking pain, which may cover up a potential problem
- SKIN – Less elasticity causing sagging and wrinkles, also becomes thinner making bumps and bruises more common.
- SEX – Menopause and lower estrogen, loss of sex drive, erectile dysfunction.