Very HEALTH MAGAZINE article:
Even before the COVID-19 pandemic occurred, loneliness was a growing concern in America.
CIGNA conducted a survey in 2018, using 20,000 individuals. The data reflected that 46% (9,200) of the participants felt lonely all the time, while 47% (9,400) of the participants felt alone sometimes and left out all the time.
Verywellmind.com reports self-care evaluation, is the first step in battling loneliness and feeling left out. There are 5 areas to the self-care assessment.
- PHYSICAL SELF-CARE
- Are you getting adequate sleep?
- Do you have a healthy diet?
- Are you getting enough exercise?
- SOCIAL SELF-CARE
- Are you getting enough face-to-face time with friends and family?
- What are you doing to nurture your relationships with friends and family?
- MENTAL SELF-CARE
- Are you taking enough time for activities that stimulate your mind?
- Are you doing things to stay mentally health?
- SPRITUAL SELF-CARE
- What questions do you have about your life and experiences?
- Are you engaging in a spiritual practice that gives you fulfillment?
- EMOTIONAL SELF-CARE
- Do you have a healthy way to express your emotions?
- Do incorporate activities in your life that make you feel good?
Once you do a thorough and “honest” self-assessment in all 5 areas of self-care, develop your own self care plan. Assess the areas in your life that need more attention. You may find that you may need professional help in some areas. Reassess your self-care often. As your situation changes, you may need to adjust your plan accordingly.